Friday, December 19, 2014

Plaster Study: Organic and Geometric

Basic Sculpture: Plaster Study
Chicken wire armature
Plaster
Cloth strips
Metal Rod
Wood base

Project requirements: Create a sculpture that has both organic and geometric qualities. Must be pinned to a wooden base. And must equal to approximately one cubic foot.


     




  

What a better way to end the semester than by making something that I want to make. Making something with organic and geometric aspects could be pretty much anything, with a few exceptions. 

So, I made a geometric cow skull. I had fun with this project and the only thing that intimidated me was creating a base that hung on the wall and cutting my metal rod. Everything else I had lots of fun with.Coming up with the design to build the wire armature was a bit of a pain because I knew it had to be perfect. There were a lot of puncture wounds and scratches while building the armature. After the chicken wire was shaped and held together, I had to place the pin/rod and tie it in, then add the fabric strips with plaster on them to create the first layer. After the fabric strips were in place, I added plaster to create flat surfaces (much easier said than done). Once smooth, I used rasps and drywall sandpaper to sharpen up corners, create the flat planes and smooth out the surfaces. I made the horns a different texture than the skull to show that it is a different material and to create a contrast within the piece.

 The only annoying thing during the project was having to empty out my plaster bowl and clean it out really well about every 10 minutes, that got old pretty quick. 

 



   







No comments:

Post a Comment